Wednesday, October 15, 2008

How to Go from Introvert to Extrovert

If you're an introvert, how do you balance the introvert and extrovert parts of yourself, such that you enjoy both types of activities equally, rather than looking forward to one and dreading the other? If you’re very introverted, you may undervalue the positive role people can play in your life, such as knowledge, friendship, growth, laughter, and so on. The optimal outcome is to strike a balance between the two and become an ambivert, or someone who enjoys social interaction and solitude equally.
How to Go from Introvert to Extrovert

1 comment:

Patricia Weber said...

To suggest that an introvert need to be an extrovert is how I read your post. Not true. Let's remain true to ourselves regardless of our style.

Here's an introvert's declaration to clarify some of this:

When you think that I must be shy or unknowledgeable because of not speaking immediately in meetings, remember…
I usually think before I respond or speak.

When it seems like I’m not excited about brainstorming or bouncing ideas around, remember…
I prefer to use analysis and thinking to come up with solutions.

If you think I am unfriendly or quiet…
I listen to fully understand, and then speak to be understood.

If I appear uneasy meeting new people, and making friends…
With planning and preparation I am self-confident in front of an audience.

You may notice, I prefer to work on my own rather than in a group…
I work well with others, especially one-to-one relationships.

If you don’t find me socializing during networking or social events…
I prefer in-depth conversation and find little value in chitchat.

When you think I’m dragging at social events…
I need time alone to reenergize and recharge.

If you think I come across intense…
I’m probably using my strong ability to focus and concentrate.

If you see me as a loner or territorial…
Time and space to myself is energizing.

If you think I don’t like people…
I am self-reflective, even around others.

If you find that I appear uncomfortable with change…
I prefer a thoughtful, creative approach to changes.

Hopefully you understand we do strike a balance in our own way.

Patricia Weber
Sales Accelerator Coach
For Introverts, Shy and Reluctant
http://patriciaweber.blogspot.com